Easy Sweet Potato Soup
Short on time but need to eat? No problem! You will need only twenty minutes and eight simple ingredients to make this super tasty and creamy sweet potato soup. It is really easy to make and tastes so comforting.
Served with a slice of homemade bread on the side, this easy sweet potato soup is the perfect quick meal for wintertime. It is also naturally vegan, gluten-free and great for nourishing your body.
Ingredients for the sweet potato soup
To make this delicious and easy sweet potato soup, you will need the following ingredients:
- Sweet potatoes
- Parsley root
- Fresh ginger
- Vegetable broth – I like to make my own by boiling vegetable scraps. If you don’t have any vegetable broth, you can use water instead.
- Nutritional yeast – not an absolute must, but it will make the soup taste so delicious and almost cheesy!
Some optional ingredients would be extra spices such as black pepper and chilli to add more aroma to the soup, and soy milk or full-fat coconut milk, to make it more creamy.
If you are adding more spices, you can add them at the same time as ginger and garlic. Plant milk can be added when the soup is cooked, before blending it.
Making the soup
To make the soup, you can simply boil all the vegetables and spices in veggie broth until they are soft, or first sauté them and then pour the broth over them and cook until they soften. I normally do it without any oil or sautéing, but it will have more flavour if you do include this step.
When the soup is cooked, you can use a stick mixer or a blender to blend it until it becomes smooth. To make it even creamier, you can add some coconut milk or soy milk before blending.
If you’d like to add some protein to the sweet potato soup and make a proper meal out of it, you can stir-fry some tofu or tempeh cubes, season them with soy sauce and serve on the side or in the soup.
A slice of homemade bread is always a great idea to have with a bowl of hot soup. Here are some of my favourite bread recipes:
If you prefer something crunchier, you can serve this sweet potato soup with some tasty homemade crackers. These are some great plant-based cracker recipes:
A slice or two of this delicious savoury polenta cake served on the side can be another great addition to your meal. Add some sliced fresh seasonal veggies and you will have a super tasty and fulfilling lunch or dinner.
Easy Sweet Potato Soup
This delicious sweet potato soup is the perfect quick and easy meal for wintertime. It is vegan, gluten-free and made with healthy, natural ingredients.
- 1 + ½ cup sweet potato, cubed
- 1 cup carrots, cubed
- ½ cup parsley root, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 pinches Himalayan salt
- Peel the sweet potatoes and wash or peel the carrots and parsley.
- Cut the sweet potatoes, carrots and parsley into 1 - 1.5 cm (0.4 - 0.6 inch) cubes.
- Mince the garlic and grate the fresh ginger.
- Add a tablespoon or two of oil to a deep pan or a pot and heat it.
- Add the ginger and garlic into the pan and sauté over low heat for half a minute or until they soften and release the aroma.
- Add the chopped vegetables and continue stir-frying over low heat for a minute or so (watch them so as not to burn).
- Pour the vegetable broth into the pan, add salt and nutritional yeast and let it cook for ten to fifteen minutes, or until all the vegetables get soft.
- Alternatively, you can skip the whole part of sautéing with oil, and just cook all the vegetables and spices in the boiling veggie broth until they soften (this is how I do it most times actually!).
- Use a stick mixer or a blender to blend the soup until it is smooth and creamy.
- If you’d like to make it even creamier, you can add some soy milk or coconut milk before blending.
- Serve with a slice of homemade bread.